Migrating Postini users to Google Apps for Business; also, an alternative
As mentioned in our August 2012 Bryley Tips and Information, Google has moved Google Message Security (GMS)/Postini into Google Apps for Business and will migrate all GMS/Postini customers to Google Apps for Business by the end of 2013.
Google will migrate GMS/Postini users gradually, focusing initially on its large, direct-billed customers and eventually tackling those customers purchasing through GMS/Postini resellers (Bryley Systems is a GMS/Postini reseller.). By December 31, 2013, all former GMS/Postini customers should be migrated.
Google has not yet disclosed significant details about this migration process, but we believe that it will require, at a minimum, these steps for each customer:
- Setup a Google Apps for Business account
- Export GMS/Postini rules and import them into Google Apps for Business
- Migrate user accounts from GMS/Postini to Google Apps for Business
- Change the MX Record for the email-server address
If you use Microsoft Exchange or Lotus Notes for your email, the email-protection-and-filtering component of Google Apps for Business will be available at the same price through your agreement term. However, your price could increase if you add any other Google Apps for Business features to your account.
McAfee, a security company owned by Intel Corporation, offers an alternative to those that do not wish to migrate to Google Apps for Business. Their service is McAfee® SaaS Email Protection and Continuity(MEPC). (Bryley Systems is a long-term reseller of MEPC and other McAfee security products.)
MEPC features include:
- Spam filtering,
- Protection against malware and SMTP-based attacks, and
- Continuity. (Continuity provides web-based access to email, both receiving as well as sending, when your email server is down. Also, once your email server is running, your web-based emails automatically resynchronize with your email server.)
McAfee also offers:
- McAfee® SaaS Web Protection – Web-content filtering
- McAfee® SaaS Email Archiving – Stand-along email archiving
- McAfee® SaaS Email Encryption Service – Email encryption add-on to MEPC
For details, please call us at 978.562.6077. Or, email Sales@Bryley.com.