Comparing Cloud-based services – Part 4: Prevention
Many Cloud-based services fall into one of these categories:
- Productivity suites – Applications that help you be more productive
- Storage – Storing, retrieving, and synchronizing files in the Cloud
- Backup and Recovery – Backing-up data and being able to recover it
- Prevention – Prevent malware, spam, and related components
- Search – Find items from either a holistic or from a specialty perspective
In this issue, we’ll explore popular, Cloud-oriented options within Prevention, the highlighted item above, and compare them with one another.
Prevention is a necessary evil; it can slow end-point performance (since these tools are using computing resources to constantly scan for problems), but it is critical in keeping end-users safe from external threats like spam, malware, and viruses. Cloud-oriented Prevention includes:
- Email protection – Control spam plus encrypt and archive emails
- End-point security – Secure end-user computers against attacks
- Web filtering – Prevent unauthorized access to undesired websites
Email protection is wholly Cloud-based, but end-point security tools usually deploy an application onto the end-user computer while web filtering requires at least an adjustment to (ie: setup a proxy server), or an application installed on, the end-user computer. We’ll cover only Cloud-based, email protection in this article.
Key issues for email-protection options include:
- Administration – Easy setup and enforcement
- Effectiveness – Works reliably and consistently
- End-user interface – Intuitive, secure, and easy-to-use
- Granularity – Allows multi-level policies and permissions
Popular, email-protection options (alphabetically) include:
- Google™ Message Secure (formerly Postini; now bundled within Google Apps)
- McAfee® (now Intel Security™) SaaS Email Prevention and Continuity
- Microsoft® Exchange Online Protection
- ProofPoint™ Essentials Business
- Symantec™ Email Security.cloud (formerly MessageLabs)
Google Message Secure (GMS)
GMS was one of the best products at an excellent price of $12/user per year. In 2013, Google discontinued GMS as a stand-alone service and bundled it within Google Apps. Former GMS clients will retain the $12 pricing for a period of time, but will eventually pay the Google Apps for Business price of $50/user per year.
Visit http://www.google.com/postini/ for details on this transition.
McAfee SaaS Email Prevention and Continuity (MEPC)
Intel is currently rebranding McAfee within Intel Security; no timeframe on the conversion, but the McAfee logo (a red “M” on a shield) will remain associated with these services.
MEPC prevents spam, but also includes Continuity, which allows end-users to retrieve and send email even if their email service is unavailable; once the email service becomes available, all emails received and sent via MEPC are then resynchronized with the email service. The price is $27/user per year.
McAfee also offers email encryption and email archiving. (Please visit our site at http://www.Bryley.com/services/email-management/ for details on MEPC and related offerings.)
Microsoft Exchange Online Protection (EOP)
Microsoft provides email protection and archiving within its Office 365 suite, but also offers it as a stand–alone service under EOP, although it is directed solely at Exchange-based email. In addition to spam and malware prevention, you can establish content and policy-based filtering to ensure outbound emails do not violate company standards. Price is $12/user per year.
Visit http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/exchange/microsoft-exchange-online-protection-email-filter-and-anti-spam-protection-email-security-email-spam-FX103763969.aspx for details on EOP. Or, visit our site for information on
Office 365 at http://www.Bryley.com/office365/.
Proofpoint Essentials Business
Proofpoint Essentials Business is a comprehensive offering that classifies security threats and then manages against their intrusion. Outbound filtering, content filtering, and 14-day spooling are included; archiving is also available. Proofpoint Essentials Business starts at $26.40/user per year.
Please visit http://essentials.proofpoint.com/ for more information.
Symantec™ Email Security.cloud
Symantec recently acquired MessageLabs spam filter and rebranded it within their Symantec.cloud services under Email Security.cloud. It protects against targeted attacks, malware, spam, and the like using proprietary Skeptic™ technologies. Content filtering is included; email encryption is available.
See http://www.symantec.com/email-security-cloud for details.