The news is filled with how internet service providers have the ability to track our web surfing habits and the numerous data breaches that occur – it is no secret that online privacy is nearly non-existent. Private browsing features can temporarily cover up your browsing history, but they do not completely protect your online activities. A Virtual Private Network (VPN) is one of the easiest ways to protect your employees and your corporate data.
A VPN is a network created between your employee and what they access. It is a group of servers connected via the internet. Essentially, your corporate data is encrypted and no one else can view, control, influence or change your activity.
Security and privacy are the main reasons why you would want a VPN. For example, if one of your road warriors is connected to a public Wi-Fi network — like the ones in local cafes and airports — using a VPN encrypts the information they are sending or accessing online. This means things like credit card details, login credentials, private conversations, or other sensitive documents can’t be intercepted by a third party.
Some advantages of using a VPN:
- Enhanced security. When you connect to your network through a VPN, your data is kept secure and encrypted – making it difficult for a potential hacker to do damage.
- Remote access. The ability to access information from home or while your employees are traveling, will increase productivity while remaining secure.
- Access to geo-restricted websites. If your employees travel overseas, they may experience some US websites that are blocked in that region. By connecting to a VPN located in the US, your employee will gain access to the site(s) they need.
- File sharing. A VPN will allow you to share files for a long period of time. While your employees are working on group projects with multiple people accessing data, it allows your employees to accomplish that task securely.
- Increased performance. Bandwidth and efficiency of the network can be generally increased once a VPN solution is implemented.
- Online anonymity. The advantage of a VPN service is that it allows you to access both web applications and websites in complete anonymity.
If your employees are working remotely, a VPN is a vital component of cybersecurity. Consult with one of our experts today.